I think there are several factors here that are standing in between me and my half-marathon next year:
- Exhaustion. Don’t get me wrong; I love that little boy more than anything I’ve ever loved before. That said, 12 solid hours with him will nearly kill anyone. He’s a constant ball of energy, and I’m not so much. So, after a day with him, running in the evening is a challenge best left for an olympiad.
- Humidity. There’s something to be said about feeling wet before you even start to sweat. On a humid day like today, I can’t get myself up to speed. Will claims that its a natural protection mode to prevent me from overheating and dying. I’m going to go with that.
- Mindset. No matter how much I want to run during the day, by the time I get out there, I nearly always psych myself out within the first mile. Don’t know why, but it’s definitely something I need to get around.
- Batteries. So, I thought to myself, “sure … get the GPS watch with HRM. You’ll love it.” Then, I realize that I need to charge the battery more often. So, my battery died mid-run today, and with it so went my motivation.
- Liam. Again. Come on … how can I PASS the house when I look up and see that little angel yelling “Mommy!” through his window?? That’s a sure-fire way to get me to turn toward the house. I love my #1 fan 🙂
So, my run didn’t go as well as I’d hoped today. Know what though? I still went out and ran, and that’s what counts. No more beating myself up for a “bad” run … I’m going to have them. A lot. I’m a mom, and I have other priorities right now. There just aren’t enough hours in the day when you’re a parent, especially one who has a job in addition to being said parent. Having two full-time jobs is rough, no matter who you are.
If I can just press through the summer, finish that 4 mile race at the end of this month (walking and wheezing if necessary), then I’ll hopefully find a groove in the fall, and have a treadmill (gasp!) in the basement by the winter. At least then I can run during naptime.